Mar 21, 2018  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Bulletin [Archived Catalog]

College of Education and Public Policy

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges, Schools & Divisions


Neff Hall 250 ~ 260-481-4146 ~

The mission of the College of Education and Public Policy is to prepare professionals in teaching, counseling, and leadership who demonstrate the capacity and willingness to continuously improve schools and related entities so that they become more effective with their clients by:

  • Becoming more caring, humane, and functional citizens in a global, multicultural, democratic society
  • Improving the human condition by creating positive learning environments
  • Becoming change agents by demonstrating reflective professional practice
  • Solving client problems through clear, creative analyses
  • Assessing client performance, creating and executing effective teaching, counseling, and educational leadership by utilizing a variety of methodologies reflecting current related research
  • Utilizing interdisciplinary scholarship, demonstrating technological and critical literacies, and effectively communicating with all stakeholders.

The academic programs in the College of Education and Public Policy are listed below. Requirements for these programs appear in Part 5  of this Bulletin.

The College of Education and Public Policy at IPFW offers B.S.Ed. degrees in elementary education and secondary education.  (An A.S. in early childhood education is also offered, however, we no longer admit new students into the program.  Students currently in this program must complete the degree by August 1, 2013.) The B.S.Ed. Secondary degree is divided into two programs.






 Elementary Generalist (K-6)







Secondary:   Middle School Generalist (5-9)    
      Select two content area minors: language arts, mathematics, 
science, social studies
    Middle School/Jr. High and High School (5-12)    

Select one content area major: earth and space science, 
French, German, language arts, social studies, Spanish


The College of Education and Public Policy also offers minors/certifications in each of the content areas listed above and the following:

English as a New Language
Life Sciences
Mild Intervention (minor for elementary or secondary)
Physical Science

In addition the following teaching majors are available at IPFW through the following colleges:





  Art Education (P-12)
Chemistry Teaching
Life Sciences Teaching
Mathematics Teaching
Music Education (P-12)
    Visual and Performing Arts
Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences
Visual and Performing Arts
Arts and Sciences

Teaching majors can also be completed as a part of the following B.A./B.S. programs:





    Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences
Arts and Sciences

Transition to Teaching

The College of Education and Public Policy also has an alternative route to teacher certification called Transition to Teaching for students who have already earned a baccalaureate degree. This one-year intense program offers teacher certification for secondary licensure. For a list of qualifications, prerequisites, course requirements, and general information, please contact the College of Education and Public Policy’s Student Information Center (Neff 243).

Public Policy

Neff Hall 260 ~ 260-481-6351 ~

The Department of Public Policy is a multidisciplinary department of the College of Education and Public Policy. Public Policy is organized as a professional division, committed to teaching, research, and service. Public Policy offers a Bachelor of Science in Public Affairs (B.S.P.A.) degree program that provides a sound general baccalaureate education combined with specialized study. Additionally, Public Policy offers minors in criminal justice and public affairs. Public Policy’s multidisciplinary faculty and curriculum address environmental, health, public policy, and management issues from a variety of perspectives.

The academic programs in the division are listed below. Requirements for these programs appear in Part 5  of this Bulletin.






  Criminal Justice
Public Affairs
Public Affairs: Criminal Justice
Public Affairs: Environmental Policy
Public Affairs: Health Services Administration
Pubic Affairs: Legal Studies
Public Affairs: Public Management
Public Affairs: Specialized Study

Acedemic Requirements

You must be in good academic standing (cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher, core/concentration/major GPA of 2.30 or higher) to qualify for an internship and to graduate.

Special Academic Regulation for Students in Public Policy

Requirements for the undergraduate degree should be completed within 10 years of admission to the department of Public Policy. You may transfer no more than 90 credit hours (60 credits from a junior college) toward a Bachelor of Science degree program. A maximum of 10 credits will be awarded on the basis of military training toward any degree in Public Affairs. With prior approval, you may take three courses totaling no more than 10 credit hours by correspondence through the IU Division of Extended Studies, Independent Study Program. However, you cannot satisfy a core, concentration, or major requirement by correspondence.

Good Standing in Public Policy requires that you maintain a minimum semester and cumulative GPA of 2.00 and a minimum core/major GPA of 2.30. Therefore, you will be placed on academic probation if your semester, cumulative, or core/concentration GPA at the end of any regular semester is lower than these minimum standards. Once on probation, you may be dismissed from the department and IPFW if you fail to make significant progress toward good standing or if you fail to meet the minimum IPFW standards listed in Part 8  of this Bulletin.

DPEA Internships

As a Public Policy major, you may earn a maximum of 12 hours of elective credit during your junior and senior years through the department internship program, if you are a student in good standing and have obtained prior approval from the Internship Coordinator. Internships are strongly encouraged because they give you the opportunity to apply classroom theory and techniques to the real world and to network with professionals in your career field. The program is designed for maximum flexibility so that many valid learning experiences can qualify as internships. Internships can be full or part time, paid or unpaid, credit or noncredit. Interested students should contact the Coordinator of Advising and Student Services at the Public Policy office for further information about internships.

Special Opportunities for Students in Public Policy

The IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs offers opportunities to study in Washington, D.C., through the Washington Leadership Program, as well as opportunities to study abroad through programs in The Netherlands and Australia. You should contact the Public Policy office for current information about these programs.

The Accelerated Master’s Program (AMP) is a competitive program for outstanding undergraduate Public Policy students. If you have a GPA of 3.50 or higher, you may apply to the AMP program as early as your junior year. This program allows you to fulfill up to 24 credit hours toward the M.P.A. graduate program or 18 credit hours toward the M.P.M. graduate program by taking graduate-level SPEA courses during your senior year that can count toward both your undergraduate program and a future graduate degree program.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges, Schools & Divisions