Program: A.S. in Commercial Art
Department of Visual Communication and Design
College of Visual and Performing Arts
Visual Arts Building 213 ~ 260-481-6709 ~ www.ipfw.edu/vpa/vcd
The student learning outcomes for the degree are as follows:
Visual communication and Design provides an exceptional professional degree program which combines creative development in an artistic discipline with career preparation. Visual Communication and Design students demonstrate:
- Effective skills in written, oral, and multimedia communication while articulating their ideas in an appropriate media.
- Visual information literacy skills and quantitative reasoning as a means of gaining written and visual knowledge while drawing reliable conclusions in their chosen discipline.
- Critical thinking and problem solving while also evaluating their ideas and technological competencies.
- Artistic and scholarly collaboration with continuous personal growth to the highest levels of personal integrity and professional ethics.
- Knowledge and skills based upon an understanding of historical traditions that formed ones own and other cultures.
- A commitment to mutual respect through free and open visual inquiry and communication.
This two-year program helps an individual prepare for entry-level employment opportunities in the applied arts, including illustration, layout, package design, display/exhibit design, and computer imaging. An exit portfolio review is required of all A.S. degree seeking students. Upon completion of the A.S. program and a successful portfolio presentation, a student may choose to enter the B.F.A. program in computer art, graphic design, or photography.
To earn the A.S. in commercial art, students must fulfill the requirements of IPFW and the College of Visual and Performing Arts, complete curriculum requirements, and earn a grade of C or better in each required VCD course.