Jul 24, 2017
Program: RN B.S.
Department of Nursing
College of Health and Human Services
Liberal Arts Room 345~ 260-481-6816 ~ www.ipfw.edu/nursing
The student learning outcomes for the degree are as follows:
- Validate professionalism through awareness, assertiveness, accountability, and advocacy.
- Critique leadership skills in directing healthcare activities: influencing and adapting to change.
- Evaluate complex issues/problems in the healthcare arena using critical thinking skills.
- Integrate the delivery of culturally competent nursing care in a variety of settings through the utilization of the Neuman Systems Model, other theories, and research.
- Justify effective, therapeutic, culturally sensitive communication techniques that are appropriate for the situation and audience.
- Evaluate the impact of generated information on healthcare outcomes.
The Bachelor of Science completion (RN-BS) curriculum is uniquely designed for associate degree or diploma registered nurses, working full or part-time, who wish to step up to baccalaureate degree. It is designed to meet the student’s professional goals in a flexible environment. Included in the program are two clinical practicums in a variety of acute, long-term, and community settings. Advising is personalized.
Nursing Program Admission Criteria
Admission into the RN–B.S. nursing program requires that the applicant be a graduate of a state-accredited associate degree or diploma program in nursing and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3 on a 4.0 scale. A current Indiana nursing license is required prior to taking the first clinical nursing course.
Credit required from the lower division includes:
- 34 credits nursing
- 15 credits in biological and physical sciences - must include 3 credits of chemistry
- 3 credits written communication skills (english).
- 6 credits behavioral sciences (psychology & sociology or anthropology).
Credits from the A.S. in nursing: 58
Nursing Core Credits: 38
NUR 44200, NUR 41800, and NUR 41900: student may pick 2 of the 3 clinicals
Supporting Courses Credits: 18
- Communication at the 30000-40000 level Credits: 3
- General Education IV: Humanistic Thought Credits: 6
- General Education V: Creative and Artistic Expression Credits: 3
- General Education VI: Inquiry and Analysis Credits: 3