Neff Hall 230 ~ 260-481-6825 ~ ipfw.edu/comm
To earn a B.A. with a major in Communication, you must complete the core requirements and credits in one of four area concentrations. Other concentrations include Interpersonal and Organizational , Media and Culture , and Rhetoric and Public Advocacy .
The area is designed to provide students with theoretical, conceptual and practical skills that they will need as a consumer and practitioner of journalism, and to enable students to fulfill their responsibilities as citizens in a self-governing democracy. The area will prepare students with essential skills for today’s digital media environment. Students will learn how to research, write, interview and produce news content, including written, audio and video components, for newspapers, magazines, television, radio and the Internet, including Web sites and social media.
Suggested minors: Biology, business studies, criminal justice, economics, labor studies, political science, psychology, public affairs and sociology.
Students completing the multimedia newsgathering and reporting concentration will be able to:
- Understand and apply the principles and laws of freedom of speech and press and understand the range of systems of freedom of expression around the world, including the right to dissent, to monitor and criticize power, and to assemble and petition for redress of grievances
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history and role of professionals and institutions in shaping communications
- Understand concepts and apply theories in the use and presentation of images and information
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness and diversity
- Think critically, creatively and independently
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the communications professions in which they work
- Critically evaluate their own work and that of others for accuracy and fairness, clarity, appropriate style and grammatical correctness